All the major online stores have a specific set of guidelines in respect to the images of products to be displayed on the site. And the common thing in all the e-commerce giants like Amazon, eBay, Macy’s etc. is that the product images of all are quite stunning and detailed. Let’s have a look at the image specifications these sites follow that can be greatly useful for startup e-commerce companies.
Here are some basic rules related to the product images:
- Images should be clear enough to depict all the details in a convenient manner.
- There shouldn’t be any special effect in the picture to make a wrong impression on the customers. You can use image editing services to accentuate the details and enhance the look of the product, but no false impression should be made.
- The images you want to upload should be having just the product to be endorsed, i.e. without any accessories or props. Logos, texts and inset images should also be avoided.
- Customers want to see various angles of a product before buying it. So, if possible, provide image resizing services showing the product from different sides. This way, you can give a fair idea about the overall look of the product to your customers.
- For better branding of your company and increased sales of the products on the site, we suggest you to hire good-looking models. Of course, it can make you spend a few bucks more but the returns will surely be encouraging.
Negligence of any of the above rules can make a product image rejected by the major online stores. And it’s really worthwhile, as user experience matters a lot in the e-commerce industry. If you have a web store to run, you also must follow these guidelines to make your store look appealing to your customers along with adding to their satisfaction through true and perfect depiction of products.
Main Product Image:
Now when we have dealt with the basics, let’s have a quick glance at the rules related to the main images.
- All the main images should be having pure white background. White background is known to highlight the features of the products, especially along the outline of the products. The RGB value of the background color should be 255, 255, 255.
- The main image of a product shouldn’t be an illustration or graphic. It also mustn’t have any accessories that are actually not the part of the package being endorsed. Such props can confuse customers and they can take the accessories as a part of the deal.
- There’s a general rule that a product should cover at least 85% of the main image. Bigger photos can accentuate the details in a better way.
- The main image should be of high quality so that it’s not pix elated in zoom view.
Additional Product Images:
There are some specific guidelines for additional images as well. Have a look.
- The prime aim of additional images is to showcase the details that can’t be highlighted in the main images. So, the additional images should be shot to highlight such details. Some things that can be conveyed through the additional images are size references, packaging and color variants.
- The background in white is recommended here as well but that’s not mandatory. In additional images you can use any other color background if you want.
- Accessories and props can be used in additional images but you need to make sure that it doesn’t create any confusion in the customers’ mind regarding the deal.
As we can see from the above discussion, white background plays a very important role in e-commerce product images. That requires the store owners to go for clipping path services. There are many companies providing brilliant clipping path in India. You can select an experienced one from them and make your product images well suited for e-commerce.